I first went to Mexico in 1991 to see a total eclipse of the sun.
We flew into Mexico City, and stayed at the Majestic, on the Zócalo. I walked along an Aztec canal, just south of the Palacio Nacional. he narrow streets were crammed full of vendors. (I haven’t been able to find that canal on recent visits; maybe it was filled in and paved over in some urban renewal project. Maybe I misremember it.) I saw Diego Rivera’s great murals. Especially his depiction of Tenochtítlan, the great Aztec city. What’s this? I thought. Where is that beautiful lake? Soon after, I read Bernal Díaz del Castillo’s first-hand account, THE CONQUEST OF NEW SPAIN.
I returned many times. I read and wrote about it. I took pictures.
- MY SUMMER VACATION 1991 trip to see total eclipse of the sun. I discover Mexico.
- THE CONQUEST OF MEXICO Retracing the route of the conquistadors across contemporary Mexico. February 1994
- VIVA ZAPATA! VIVA LA REVOLUCIÓN! (But no violence, please!) My first thoughts on the Zapatistas
- TODOS SOMOS MARCOS My public access TV show about the Zapatistas and related projects. 1996-1999
- MEXICO BY BUS
- THE GODS OF WATER AND POWER
- MEXICO PROFUNDO
Photo albums, 2010-2013:
- November 2013 – Hecho en Mexico
- November 2013 – Cacahuates a los Changos
- November 2013 – Federacion de Esquierdas
- January 2013 – Xalapa…Ninos y Mascotas
- November 2011 – El Hogar del Son
- November 2011 – Diablitos y Glorias
- November 2011 – El Capital
- Xalapa, October 2010, Part 1
- Xalapa, October 2010, Part 2
- May 2010 – Rio Papaloapan
- May 2010 – Xalapa, Palm Sunday
- May 2010 – Xalapa
- May 2010 – Coatepec, Xalapa, Rancho Viejo
- May 2010 – Xalapa – A Las Victimas de la Invasion Americana