Ai Weiwei - Life Cycleat the Marciano Art Foundation
To see more pix, more quotes, full text panels and to view pix at “reading speed,” go to FULL ALBUM
With Maureen, Ron and Susan at the Marciano Art Foundation
- SUNFLOWER SEEDS: Millions of handcrafted porcelain sunflower seed, each unique.
- SPOUTS: Tens of thousands of teapot spouts dating back to the Song Dynasty (960-1279). “The spouts reflect an aesthetic and moral value system singular to the Song Dynasty.”
- LIFE CYCLE: Bamboo boat with figures and 16 quotes. “Ai’s latest response to the global refugee crisis.”
- TEN WINDOWS. Bamboo and silk. Vignettes originally created for a Parisian department store, referencing Chinese mythology and more.
- SHANHAIJING: Bamboo and silk. Suspended figures based on mythic figures from the Chinese Classic of Mountains and Sea.
- Plus more exhibits on the Marciano’s second and third floors, including With All My Love for the Tulips, I Pray Forever, by Yayoi Kusama.
AI WEIWEI IN LOS ANGELES
- AI WEIWEI: LIFE CYCLE at the Marciano Art Foundation. September 28, 2018 – March 3, 2019. Admission is free, but access is limited. You must MAKE RESERVATIONS
- Ai Weiwei: Zodiac at the Jeffrey Deitch Gallery September 29, 2018–January 5, 2019
- Ai Weiwei: CAO/HUMANITY at the UTA Artist Space. October 1 - December 15, 2018
403 Foothill Rd., Beverly Hills, CA
Tuesday - Saturday: 10:00 am — 6.00 pm
For more on the refugee crisis, see FORCED FROM HOME, Doctors Without Borders presentation on refugees, November 2017 at Santa Monica Beach.
BAMBOO SNAKE. I made this 10 or 15 years ago, before I’d heard of Ai Weiwei. I don’t mean to imply that he got the idea from me.