Pacific Standard Time LA/LA, part 3
- Santa Barbara Museum of Art – Valeska Soares – ANY MOMENT NOW
Brazilian artist working with repurposed objects and pages. Exhibition includes a take-away journal to fill out in response to the exhibit.
- The Broad – COULEUR ADDITIVE, 2017
An outdoor installation (crosswalks at intersection in front of the museum) by Carlos Cruz-Diez.
- Museum of Contemporary Art – ANNA MARIA MAIOLINO. Mixed media and mixed messages
Wonderful exhibit. I love SECRET POEM. And also the room with installations of simple forms in unfired clay, repeated to fill a space.
- The Geffen Contemporary at MOCA – Adrián Villar Rojas: THE THEATER OF DISAPPEARANCE
Possibly the weirdest so far. A dark simulation of lost Atlantis, with moments of beauty and wit among the ruins.
- LACMA – PINXIT MEXICI: Painted in Mexico: 1700-1790
- USC Pacific Asia Museum – WINDS FROM FUSANG: Mexico and China in the Twentieth Century
This show highlights the relationship of left-leaning Mexican artists and the new socialist country of China, especially the 1955 exhibition National Front of Plastic Arts of Mexico: An Exhibition of Paintings and Prints. It features a beautiful mural created for this exhibition.
- Pasadena Museum of California Art – HOLLYWOOD IN HAVANA: Five Decades of Cuban Posters Promoting US Films
- California African American Museum – CIRCLES AND CIRCUITS 1: History and Art of the Chinese Caribbean Diaspora
Works by Amy Leong Pang, George Chung, Flora Fong, Albert Chong, Boscoe Holder, Manuel Chong Neto, Pedro Eng Herrera, Sybil Attek, Carlisle Chang, Nina Squires, Wifredo Lam, Katarina Wong and others.